Risuko!!!

Risuko: A Kunoichi Tale (Teen Historical Adventure) (Seasons of the Sword Book 1) (English Edition) - David Kudler

First things first: I received an ARC of this book through NetGalley.

The book came out june 15th and I really recommend this book.

Look at that another review. I'm on a roll today. Wohohoooo!!!!

Book summary:

Kano Murasaki, called Risuko (Squirrel) is a young, fatherless girl, more comfortable climbing trees than down on the ground. Yet she finds herself enmeshed in a game where the board is the whole nation of Japan, where the pieces are armies, moved by scheming lords, and a single girl couldn't possible have the power to change the outcome.

Or could she?

I just finished the book and aaaaah!!!!

I haven't read that many books yet that are set in Japan, so this was totally new to me but wonderful. I really liked the setting and the world building. Really beautiful.

The book has a lot of characters, so it took a while for me to get really into them and figure out who was who. There's a list of all the characters in the back of the book, though.

I found myself caring for Risuko very quickly. From one moment to the next she got torn out of her normal live, away from her family to be put into a world that she didn't seem to understand. I mean, that alone made me wanna wrap her in a blanket and protect her from the world. There are also lots of great side characters that I really enjoyed reading.

The story is progressing really slow but I actually liked that. I'm so happy that the girls training is going slow and that by chapter 10 there wasn't already a sword in their hands and they had to save the world. Cause even though it was a slow progress their were still a lot of things happening.

A really great first book. I can't wait to read more of this story and see were things are going.